Friday, March 4, 2011

#1 * Welcome

If you are reading this blog, you have either been linked from the youtube video titled "A San Francisco Zoo Crime" or you have found it by searching one of the tags.

Please note that this isn't a bash the Zoo blog, it is simply a forum to state the facts and experience I (Kim aka leo811) have had as a San Francisco Zoo member. The San Francisco Zoo revoked the Memberships of myself and my friend Lee, refunding our Fee's and giving us no reason. I have tried to get an official reason and since I haven't been able to, I must let the public know of this outrageous action. Maybe you, the public won't care either, but if you do, please say so via the comment option.

If you would like to read about the crime, please continue reading the entries in this blog and view the before mentioned video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Q2IONIngA

I love the Animals who live at the Zoo and recommend that you support the Zoo and the Keepers who are their care givers, by visiting them. That is all I can say in support at this point.

It wasn't always that way, in fact I have extensive information about the Zoo and the Animals that live there on two blogs, as well a photosite and videos on my youtube channel. From what I've seen, more than any other site on the SFZOO, including their own.

Please visit my SFZOO related sites to learn more about the Residents. Enjoy!

Learn more about all the Zoo Residents here:
http://gooberssfzoofriends.blogspot.com

See the animals with Enrichment toys made by me and my friend.
http://thebigcatnip.blogspot.com

See thousands of photos of the zoo residents here:
http://gooberssfzoofriends.shutterfly.com

See a hundred plus video clips of the zoo friends here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/leo811sf

Read more about Padang and her milestone birthday here:
http://tigerbirthday.blogspot.com

Read more about Ulu, her milestone birthday and her bear friends birthdays here: http://bearbirthdays.blogspot.com

ADDED 6.30.11 Blogs I've unfortunately HAD to write.

San Francisco Zoo curiosities:
http://sanfranciscozoofails.blogspot.com/

Andean Bear Lives on Concrete
http://projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com

Sign Wishy's Petition for Grass!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/project-get-wishbone-grass-andean-bear-lives-on-concrete/

7 comments:

  1. I also feel people should see and visit and enjoy the very precious and wonderful animals and some of the keeper staff that work so many hard, long hours and care so very much for the animals they are in charge with. I dont want the zoo's unfair retaliation against me for no reason keep others from enjoying the incredible animals there. Please take time to read and enjoy Kim's blogs. They are incredible and she has put extensive hours into the research and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lee- Thank you for the kudos on my blogs. Even though I'm only updating the photosite, there is extensive information on the Animals on them, so I keep them up so people can still visit and learn more about them. They are special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you clearly love the animals and have spent a lot if time, energy, and money creating some beautiful enrichments! and your blogs and pics = free press to me, so i don't understand why the zoo would not fully support you, including adding links from their main site to yours. i also don't understand why they revoked your memberships - they must have some hidden agenda for some reason. (i'm posting anonymous because i don't want more spam, but i'm a sf native who has been going to the zoo since i was a kid as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read every word of the blog and watched the video, and I have to impartially say that I can not figure out what Kim and Lee did "wrong." I have only met them in person a couple of times but totally enjoyed their knowledge and attitudes toward the zoo animals. I am a long time zoo goer also and agree that the zoo needs to pay much more attention to security regarding visitor behavior that is disrespectful both to animals and other people. This is certainly NOT the case for Kim and Lee, who are only full of love and concern for the animals and totally respectful of keepers and staff who are doing their jobs for the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @anonymous- Thank you for your comment. I do not know why the Zoo never gave us any credit or took advantage of the Enrichment "events" we created. Everyone, Us, Keepers, Visitors and especially the important recipients, the Animals, loved it! There was a bit of a regular following that showed up to enjoy it every Saturday. To me, what Lee and I did for the Animals in the way of Enrichments and what I did for the Zoo in the way of promoting via my blogs, could only be a positive. ... Regarding revoking our Memberships, it is a curious thing! To me, they have no reason or they would have given one. The Management just doesn't like us. Maybe because we point out things that could be worked on? Maybe because we do things for the Zoo (Enrichment and Promo) that their staff doesn't do? Who knows. What I do know is Lee was slandered by the Director. FACT. & The Zoo has added a "revoking membership" FAQ to their site, which after the fact, has no regard or validity to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @joanne- Thank you for your comment. Yes we have met when we had the Birthday Party for Padang the Tiger! Thank you for coming out for that and for other Enrichment fun! Your supportive comments are correct, both Lee and I have only tried to do what is best for the Animals, always. We are constantly aware of what is going on there, and have been helpful to the Keepers in reporting out of normal behavior. As well we have tried to share what we know with Visitors, in hopes of endearing them to the Animals AND dispelling misconceptions about captivity.
    For all of this we were rewarded with the Management taking away our Membership and following us constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the Lee in the blog that had my membership taken away... thank you all for your kind words and support. I still have no idea why the zoo would single Kim and I out like this. We have done nothing but good and it's all been out of love for the animals. There probably are no two people on earth that loves animals more than we do. The slander and treatment is horrifying to me. Again, I urge people to love and learn about the animals, meet with some of the awesome keepers, but beware of zoo management!!!

    ReplyDelete