Friday, March 4, 2011

#5 * Blamed and Slandered

Lee had written an email to the Guardian Committee as she had not been receiving the benefits listed and her Membership would becoming up for renewal in a few months. Honestly, Lee was feeling slighted and curious whether she had been deliberately left off of an email listing for event notices.

The last one she had received was for a Guardian appreciation event. She invited me as her guest and at first it was fine, but by the end I was appalled and offended. Director Peterson, as the face of the Zoo, made her way around the room personally thanking all the Guardians for their donations (remember $1000.00). She snubbed Lee! In my opinion this is very bad. No matter what she may think of Lee (or I) for our zealous passion about the Zoo and its Animals, Lee donated a $1000.00 by buying the Guardian level Membership. She deserved the respect the other donors got, not to be rudely passed over.

On Monday February 14, 2011, Lee received an email from Director Peterson.

Dear Lee:

... I understand you were involved in the false alarm at the bear grottos last weekend. You may or may not realize that your call resulted in an armed response, which put both staff and animals in jeopardy.

Lastly, we will be refunding your Guardian membership. Please look for a check sometime this week.

Sincerely,
Tanya Peterson

Tanya M. Peterson

Executive Director and President

San Francisco Zoological Society

One Zoo Road

San Francisco, CA 94132-1098

Tel.: 415-753-7119

To say the least, Lee was devastated by this. The Zoo is very dear to both of us. For Director Peterson to accuse her of putting anyone in danger and with that statement accusing her of making an inappropriate call, was very hurtful. In addition noting the refund in the same breath, made it sound like she wasn't welcome there anymore.

Director Peterson definitely slandered Lee with her statement, but I looked at the refund as a statement on the Zoo's part that because of Lee's dissatisfaction and their inability to provide the benefits listed, they were refunding her.

When Lee received her refund check later in the week, there was no letter, just a check stating, "Cancellation and Reimbursement of Membership Fees."

When we went to the Zoo on Saturday February 19, 2011, I upped my Membership and paid the additional $20 to add Lee to my Membership. The office ran my credit card and gave me a card with Lee's name on it.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I became very ill when I received the email stating as mentioned above. I was shaken and shocked. I read the email a few times and just cried and cried. I have been a Guardian, a Docent, a major lover of the zoo and it's wonderful animals. I was shocked to receive an email like this when it clearly was sent to me without the facts. As I am typing this now, I, again, am quite tearful. Since this began, I have lost sleep, had trouble concentrating at work and have picked up a nasty virus. I did absolutely nothing to have earned this disrespect. My favorite place has now become a place that hurts me and makes me very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lee- We both have dealt with this in different physical ways. I feel for you, as someone who has battled depression for many years. This type of treatment is a catalyst for that to surface. We have been treated with great disrespect.

    ReplyDelete