Friday, March 4, 2011

#9 * Blamed and Branded

The Zoo was my happy go to place of comfort. It put a smile on my face and I loved going there. I love my precious Zoo friends, and won't abandon them, but I don't like how entering the place now makes me feel. ... As I drove into the lot the other day in search of an answer I felt sad. Literally drained from the situation, I didn't even want to be there. Its very disturbing and offensive to be treated the way we have been.

That Thursday (2.24) when I went to the Joint Zoo Committee Meeting, there was curiously Security guard Eddie posted inside. There never has been before.

That Saturday (2.26) while Lee and I walked around the grounds, there was Security everywhere we went. The Zoo only has 2-3 guards on duty, and yes, you sometimes see them around the grounds, but not everywhere you go.

The next time Lee and I visited, again we seemed to have the eye of Security. I guess we are such dangerous people that its more important to watch us than actually watch for people harassing the animals.

During my questioning of Lamar/Membership Sales, we asked how often this (revoking) happens and what are some of the reasons? He shook his head and said its been years, so he didn't remember. So, this hasn't happened in years, yet it happens to us. Two people who have supported the Zoo in the way that we have, and WE are being treated as if we are public enemy number one.

The Zoo's outrageous action against us has left us branded. Some staff members treat us like we don't belong there, some just plain think they got one over on us, and other truer friendships have been put in jeopardy, for fear of repercussion if they talk to us. We have been made to feel very unwelcome. Tell me again why? Right, we don't know.


2 comments:

  1. I am saddened and very depressed at this unjustice. As a widow and handicapped, the zoo has always been a place that I have enjoyed and gotten to know the precious animals there. I love them all. The employees now snicker and security follows me on entire visits now. I have been treated for many years with depression and this situation,being shameful and unjust has made me physically ill. I have looked forward to my Saturdays as an outing and fun place to unwind. Now, I am treated as an outcast by a large portion of the zoo staff. I have been treated unfairly and slandered. I feel that those friendships there that I have developed have also been taken away from me for no reason. There must be more to this if staff is afraid to speak now. It makes me wonder if they have been threatened not to speak to us. My heart is saddened, my spirit is low. For absolutely no reason at all, I have been made an outcast from the place that always has made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lee- You have stated it perfectly. We have been outcast-ed for no reason. This has all boiled down to running a facility based on personal agenda. Some Staff doesn't like us for whatever reason and they made it their goal to drive us away. Revoking our Membership and treating us as enemies of the Zoo is their way of trying to do that. What they don't realize is we love the Animals more than we care what they think. Too bad Staff didn't believe the same way. The Animals should come before personal agendas.

    ReplyDelete