Sunday, April 1, 2012

Final thoughts on this Crime 4 of 4

Note there are 4 posts in this series
This is the last post



I was watching the movie Moneyball recently and there was a quote exchanged between two characters.  This is a film based on a true story so this isn't probably a fiction based line, but even if it is, it was very relevant to my whole situation in dealing with the San Francisco Zoo Management.  I tried to be helpful by being extra eyes and reporting not only misbehavior for which this particular crime against me was committed, but to offer suggestions on how to make the Zoo be all it can be and thrive.  I thought there would be value on the perspective of a Visitor.  I thought trying new things and moving forward would be welcomed.  Instead I learned that that Zoo is run based on personalities and the personalities running the place are not open to thinking outside the box that has been their way of doing things for decades.


Quote from the movie Moneyball:


 I know you've taken it in the teeth out there, but the first guy through the wall. It always gets bloody, always. It's the threat and not just the way of doing business, but in their minds it's threatening the game. But really what it's threatening is their livelihoods, it's threatening their jobs, it's threatening the way that they do things. And every time that happens, whether it's the government or a way of doing business or whatever it is, the people are holding the reins, have their hands on the switch. They will bet you're crazy. I mean, anybody who's not building a team right and rebuilding it using your model, they're dinosaurs.




My thoughts:



This is kinda old news as it happened via post mail on Friday December 23, 2011.  I had planned to "update" the crime right away, but that didn't happen, so I pushed off the date to the year anniversary of when our Memberships were revoked Valentines Day.   Sadly the deaths of five Zoo friends (Lion, Eland, Rhino, Seal and Bear) in five weeks, starting on January 23, 2012, set me back. 

So to wrap this up, I will say a few things.  I don't think its necessary to say to much as except for my thoughts about my Membership being returned, I have detailed everything in the previous posts.  Every fact and thought about the situation and those who perpetrated this action against myself and my friend Lee is there.  

This action in my opinion was meant to create a cover for Zoo procedures that are faulty and to keep us from financially being able to visit as often as we had been, aka so we wouldn't be as privvy to the going's on there.  That didn't work.  We continue to be privvy to too much stuff.  Stuff I don't even want to know, but for some reason, the Master of the Universe wants us to be.

The Master of the Universe has also led me to believe that the simple act of returning our Memberships and Complimentry I might add, shows an admission of guilt, or it would have never been returned AND definitely not free of charge.  ... You don't go as far to say the Zoo is unsafe with us there and then give us a free ticket.  If any of the accusatioins were true, they would have stood by them.  I proved they were untrue.  

In addition to what I knew to be true, I conducted my own investigation (one that no Media could do, nor City official would do) and compounded the facts I already knew with additional information.  That information proved there was no way the accusations against us were true.

Untruth is a common practice among humans.  Its something that I don't practice in my life and that sometimes causes me conflict with those who do.  It is something that I can not stand by and let happen to myself or something I am passionate about.  

In the Letter from Director Peterson, she states, "To the extent further issues arise beetween you and the Society, a subcommittee of the Board will be formed to review."  I don't particularly like being threatened, which I take this to be.  Since I have proven that there was no basis for the original action, this to me is nonsense.  We did nothing wrong.  Director Peterson either launched or became the face of this situation based on untruths.  A situation which lasted almost a year long, caused everyone involved to waste an incredible amount of time and energy dealing with it, whether on our part defending ourselves or on the Zoo's part trying to keep the story going.  If the she and the rest of the Management Staff spent as much time on the Zoo as they did on us, maybe the place would be run better and there would be less people harassing the Animals.

Lee got the same, Membership and Letter, as I did,  although her letter had the added "Happy Holidays" in the closing.  I guess I didn't warrant pleasantries.  Maybe because I don't follow the Director set chain of command.  Oh wait, I don't work there, so I don't have to.  If the Zoo Staff on all levels had a way to report abuse of power, without fear of losing their jobs, maybe the Zoo would have better Management Staff and practices.  

I contacted people outside the walls when someting wasn't right.  The first time was via the SF Animal Control and Welfare Chair regarding the arrival of Tucker the Hippo.  The second was in regards to this Membership Crime.  When you work at the Zoo, you can't speak outside your immediate supervisior.  This keeps the nest that is bad Management intact.

I will continue to question things there, report misbehavior and relate MY expereiences in MY blog, that not against rules, those are my rights as a citizen of this country.  

Keep up to date on what's happening at the Zoo 

both fun 
iamnotananteater.blogspot.com

and bothersome
sanfranciscozoofails.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter, @leo811 to recieve San Francisco Zoo related updates on my sites.


Thank you to all who followed this crime drama saga, and who commented or contacted me.  Your support will always be appreciated.


This case in finally closed!


Please read all 4 posts in this series for the full saga.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for always being true to yourself even though it sometimes is met with opposition. The Gandhi quote is awesome and true. It is finally good that this case has come to an end and the truth prevailed. I had only wished that more friends had the courage to voice opinions, but that's ok. In my heart the case is closed as far as membership but the case is never closed for being the eyes and ears for the precious zoo animals. (they cannot speak for themselves). Too much energy was wasted by the zoo uppers that could have been used to the good of the animals. Keep up the good fight. Again, your blog is your blog, your opinion and those that feared the truth were outted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @andiecattt- Thank you for the support. This whole drama was mentally and emotionally draining, sometimes physically. I had to seek justice, not for myself but also for you. We were wronged and that's putting it casually. We were slandered and made out to be the opposite of who we are. It wasn't right and their dirty dealings had to be exposed and justice prevailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year long battle has physically and emotionally drained me. I am older and handicapped. The zoo has always been a joyful place for me because I could walk a little and then rest up and sit and photo the animals. The stress of that year caused me to have more joint pain and an additional medication prescribed. All this drama because we love the animals so much and speak the truth. The truth did prevail but at a high cost, my health. If a person is telling the truth,the story never changes. Our story never changed. The zoo continued making up new excuses and even made up visitor rules after the fact. It has taken away a lot of the joy of my weekly visits, but I love my furry and feathered friends too much to not visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lee/andiecattt- It is awful how deeply it affected both of us. I know you were debilitated a bit more than I was, so I needed to do all that I did for the both of us. This was blatant abuse of power on a personal level. There was no basis for these actions and accusations. This experience sure shined a light on what really goes on there. The untruths are not isolated to us. There is continued mismanagement on all levels. That partnered with what happened to us does make the place less joyous and frankly an irritating place to be BUT those Animals put a smile on my face, I love them so. I too could never not go and visit them.

    ReplyDelete